Facebook has had to do a military-style "about face" after learning that their website is not so secure as they claimed. After being assured that Facebook was relatively benign, we've all heard horror stories about stolen identities, fraud, and of course, plain old embarrassment. Facebook is finally facing up (ha!) to its shortcomings.
I have a Facebook page that Caitlin created for me on my 47th birthday. After I received a couple of odd emails from friends ("Why are you naked on your Facebook profile?"), I realized that Caitlin had posted a headshot of me in a strapless gown. Unfortunately, the gown did not show at all... just my bare shoulders!
I love Facebook and plan on giving my own site a "facelift" (ha!) and using it more often. I plan on putting my Facebook connection on this blog once I get it set up. There's no better way to connect with old friends and distant relatives. My girls love it for socializing and even checking homework or sports practice schedules. However, I worry like many parents about monitoring Facebook use.
Here are two new articles about Facebook account security:
Facebook Adjusts Privacy Controls After Complaints
How to Secure Your Facebook Account
Note: I was browsing through my blog posts and saw that the links to these articles are not showing. The links show on my own editing page, but not on the published blog. I went back to try linking the articles again, but to no avail. I'm afraid I will have to ask Caitlin or Courtney to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
May 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment